Mexican cuisine is one of the most popular in the world, due to its great variety and exotic flavours. In addition, Mexican cuisine also brings us a sweet touch thanks to its cocktails and exquisite desserts.
Although they have a wide variety of exquisite dishes such as enchiladas, quesadillas or totopos with guacamole, tacos are the most famous Mexican dish in the world.
This dish has been part of the Aztec country since time immemorial, and today it has become the dish par excellence in street stalls, offering a wonderful delicacy for even the most discerning palates.
Moreover, tacos are made in many different ways, although the best known is the recipe for tacos al pastor.
The tacos al pastor recipe has multiple copies around the world, but there is only one true recipe. To cook tasty homemade tacos al pastor, all you need is a frying pan and the ingredients we are going to show you below:
- ½ kg of pork fillets
- 4 chillies
- Fresh coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 30 grams achiote paste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml pineapple juice
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves
- 4 corn (or wheat) tortillas
- 1 lime
How to make homemade Tacos al pastor?
- First take a saucepan and add the chillies, then add water. Bring to the boil for 15 minutes, remove them and wait for the temperature to drop.
- Then put the chillies, the white wine vinegar, the pineapple juice, the spices and the achiote paste in the blender until a thin liquid is formed.
- Then season the meat with salt and pepper and mix the pork fillets with the sauce obtained in the blender. Leave the pork fillets to marinate overnight.
- Once the marinade is finished, cut the meat into thin strips and fry them in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil over a high heat. Make sure they don’t burn, and after 15 minutes they are ready to be removed from the pan.
- After heating the tortillas on both sides in the frying pan, place them in a basket and cover them with a small tea towel.
- Finally, we take out the dish with the pork and the basket with the tortillas, and complement the tortillas with the meat. For authentic tacos al pastor, add some fresh coriander, chopped onion and diced pineapple.
- Season with a lime and you can enjoy your homemade tacos al pastor.
Once you have followed these steps, your homemade tacos al pastor are ready, but if you want to have tacos in the purest Mexican style, we recommend that you make your own homemade tortillas.
If you don’t have time or want to enjoy a different kind of dinner, remember!
At Taqueria de Birra we are experts in tacos and Mexican food since 1989, so if you want to taste tacos in the purest Mexican style, we invite you to order to take away or come and try them at C/ Don Pedro, 11 or at Plaza de las Comendadoras, 2.